In France, Rolland Garros announced the arrival in summer, in Essaouira you only have to look at the crowded beaches filled with holidaymakers to know that it’s here.
Early signs of the start include; The first aid signs posted along the beach, the car park filled with jet ski’s and the lifeguard posts. We can swim knowing we are safe under the watchful eyes of the cards…phew!
Each year, from the June 1st to September 1st, several teams of civilian protection are deployed on the beaches of Essaouira; Sidi Kaouki, Moulay Bouzerktoun and Tafedna, to ensure our safety on the beaches and in the water.
Our advice remains the same; do your utmost to ensure you are being as safe as possible in the water.
And for that, remember the instructions;
- Learn about the dangers of the sea (rocks, streams..)
- Swim in supervised areas ( look for the flags)
- Enter the waters gradually
- Avoid swimming on a full stomach (digest that chicken tagine with olives before putting on the bathing suit!)
- Never swim alone ( find a swim buddy)
- If you can not swim, do not board a boat
- If you feel unwell, head for solid ground as quick as possible
Find more information online, from the commander of civil defense.
Happy swimming to all!
Text Alice Joundi
Translation Karen Athwal